The Jew & The Carrot is a blog about Jews, food and contemporary life. We strive to maintain a diverse and inclusive community on the blog -one which welcomes posters and readers from across the Jewish denominational spectrum and beyond, and from all walks of culinary life. The Jew & The Carrot allows for a significant amount of community interaction around the content published on our site. Our aim is to ensure that this community is inclusive and safe, as well as being a platform for vibrant discussion.
There are 7 guidelines we would like you to be aware of, and which we expect all participants in the community areas of The Jew & The Carrot to abide by:
1. We welcome hearty debate and dissent, but the key to maintaining The Jew & The Carrot as an inviting space is focusing on intelligent, insightful and passionate discussion of issues.
2. Please respect other people’s views and beliefs. We recognize that people often feel strongly about things, but we will consider removing any content that other members might find extremely offensive or threatening. We actively discourage obscenity and mindless abuse. Personal attacks on other members have no place in an intelligent discussion.
3. We will not tolerate racism, sexism, anti-semitism, homophobia or other forms of hate-speech, or content that could be interpreted as such. We recognize the difference between criticizing a particular government, organization, community or belief and attacking people on the basis of their race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. The Jew & The Carrot reserves the right to remove any posts or comments that breach this, or any of the community guidelines.
4. We will remove any content that may put us in legal jeopardy, such as potentially libelous or defamatory postings, or which is posted in potential breach of copyright.
5. Think before you press the publish button. Remember that this is a public forum, and your words will be archived on this site and available for anyone to find for a long time – the web has a very long memory.
6. Keep it relevant. The vast majority of conversations on The Jew & The Carrot relate to a specific blog post. We know that some conversations can be wide-ranging, but if you post something which is completely unrelated to the original topic then it may be removed, in order to keep the thread on track.
7. And remember… Text isn’t always a great medium for conversation. Remember that tone of voice – sarcasm, humor and so on – doesn’t always come across when using words on a screen. Be aware that you may be misunderstood, so try to be clear about what you are saying, and expect that people may understand your contribution differently than you intended.
In short, our overarching aim is never to curtail conversation, but to create and maintain a pleasant and welcoming environment for everyone. If you have suggestions or questions about any aspect of community participation on The Jew & The Carrot, please write to tips at jcarrot dot org.
*These Community Guidelines are modified from the guidelines created by Serious Eats.